Health & Safety Update – 28th June 2023
Here is the latest from The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) which also includes an excellent animation on what to expect when you receive a visit from an HSE Inspector and reminds me of my days when managing Health & Safety for South Mimms Welcome Break and training for Veolia Water in Hertfordshire.
Companies need to ensure that the relevant HSE records are kept such as training that has been carried out with members of the team on Health & Safety such as Risk Assessments, First Aid, Manual Handling, DSE, COSHH, Working at Heights, Abrasive Wheels, and fire to name a few and that the team are demonstrating the correct behaviours and attitudes in the workplace.
This latest information forms the HSE also includes the process of fees for intervention and query and dispute process which came into effect on 1 October 2012 and which as with all information received from the HSE should be fully understood and appropriate action taken.
This week’s edition includes:
- advice on what to expect when you receive a visit from an HSE inspector
- news of the winning entry in HSE’s MSD ‘Risk-reduction through design’ award
- guidance and information about managing vehicle and driver safety at work
- links to recent HSE enforcement prosecutions and some of our latest job vacancies
The company, Serco Limited, was fined £240,000 following the fatal incident.
The man was killed when the lorry he was a passenger in crashed into litter picking vans blocking a lane of a dual carriageway. HSE’s investigation found that Serco had:
· failed in its health and safety management of litter picking activities on high-speed dual carriageways
· not provided its employees with appropriate work instructions to ensure the litter picking activity was safe
· failed to supervise and monitor the high-risk activity to ensure it was carried out safely
Read this press release for more details on the incident.
Other recent prosecution cases include:
YOUR OUTSOURCED HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT.
For further information on any of the HR subjects we provide, please click the heading below: